[rfc-i] Comments on draft-iab-rfcformatreq

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Thu Dec 20 08:02:08 PST 2012

>> Un huh.  What is the name of this character: #
>
> "Number Sign", see
>  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc20#page-5

You will also find people calling it sharp sign, hash mark, and for those
from telephony backgrounds, octothorpe.  I can't say as that's caused mass
confusion.

>> What do you call two dots over a vowel?
>
> I don't call them anything.  They're non-ascii, and can not be
> typed on my keyboard, any completely irrelevant to the languages
> that I understand.

In English it's diaeresis, or for linguistic sticklers, a trema.  It shows
up in English in loan words like Noël and naïve. People who speak German
usually call them an umlaut.  Again, not a big deal.

I think we should use whatever characters make the documents more readable
to the largest audience, and not worry about linguistic arcana.

Regards,