[rfc-i] Character sets, was Comments on draft-iab-rfcformat

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu Dec 20 04:34:53 PST 2012

On 2012-12-20 12:49, Martin Rex wrote:
> "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
> [ Charset UTF-8 unsupported, converting... ]
>> On 2012/12/20 9:13, Martin Rex wrote:
>>
>>> Not being able to discuss normative text on an IETF mailing list
>>> because it can not be represented in a plain-ASCII EMail would be
>>> just as bad as not being able to display an RFC through a
>>> plain SSH tty-based dialin, or discussed in f2f meetings.
>>
>> IETF mailing lists are perfectly able to handle to handle UTF-8 (or many
>> other non-ASCII encodings). The non-ASCII examples that Philipp was
>> sending out yesterday arrived here in good shape.
>
> Such garbage comes up as sequences of question marks on my MUA.

Martin, this is not helpful. Apparently you think that it's ok to
restrict what we all can do based on a set of very outdated software on
your machine. If you don't believe in running software that actually
implements the specs we work on, why do you even participate in IETF work?

Best regards, Julian