[rfc-i] Character sets, was Comments on draft-iab-rfcformat

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Wed Dec 19 17:28:45 PST 2012

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> The technical change that is now driving this is the proliferation of
> smartphone type devices that have the interesting property that they
> support virtual keyboards. Until now the only way to input many languages
> into a computer has been through a keyboard with a Latin alphabet and
> Arabic numerals. So Japanese and Chinese users of the Internet have been
> familiar with ASCII transliteration hacks as of necessity.
>
> With the virtual keyboard, that requirement goes away... So assuming that
> the Japanese speaker will know how to use a Western alphabet is going to be
> an increasingly bad assumption.

A while ago I had to enter my 30 chars+ WPA2 WLAN password into my daughters
iPod4 touch, and it turned out to be a royal PITA, in particular finding
all the non-alphanumeric characters on the virtual keyboard.

> Yesterday my wife discovered that the reason she could not use the company
> VPN from home was that she has an ampersand in her password (they do demand
> a non alphabetic character). The problem was that the developer had only
> tested on a limited character set (and quite likely there is a SQL
> injection issue).

Could be a lack of education of admin, users and software suppliers.

http://xkcd.com/936/

properly used, plain ASCII is just fine for that purpose.

-Martin