[rfc-i] Character sets, was Comments on draft-iab-rfcformat

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Wed Dec 19 07:51:22 PST 2012

It’s clear the members of this mailing list are highly unqualified to make
judgment calls as to which characters strike the best balance between
readability and universal availability.   It turns out these trade-offs are
more complex than you thought; for example, popular mobile devices leave
out some surprisingly popular non-ASCII characters in the interests of
saving space.  Anyone who couches the discussion in terms of supporting (or
not) “UTF-8” reveals their incompetence in these matters.

The constituency urging the preservation of the legacy ASCII-line-printer
format can be safely ignored. There is no constituency calling for the
carefree use of everything in Unicode.  I suggest that the selection of
character repertoires be explicitly left to the authors of drafts, the
working groups that review them, and the IESG.  In this scenario, arguments
about character sets will happen very rarely, and always in the context of
the specific needs of a specific draft spec, which is as it should be.

Yes, as Paul noted elsewhere, I should express my opinion more specifically
in terms of Heather’s draft. I’ll do that.

 -Tim