[rfc-i] Character sets, was Comments on draft-iab-rfcformat

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Tue Dec 18 20:59:57 PST 2012

>> We've spent the past decade saying that we can't do anything that might
>> inconvenience the ever smaller number of people who use 80 character ASCII
>> page printers, while totally ignoring the ever larger number who use the
>> kinds of devices that people actually use these days, web browsers,
>> tablets, and the like.  Really, it's time to get beyond that.
>
> I do not have any number about this, but I would guess that the
> percentage of people who want only ASCII is higher if you count only the
> people who actually implement I-Ds/RFCs.

Sheesh, we can all pull numbers out of various bits of our bodies.

> I am a developer, and when I have to carefully read each word and
> analyze the meaning of each sentence, there is no better support for me
> than a printed page in ASCII.

I also write my share of code that implmenents various standards, and I
prefer a printed page that looks typeset, not like a 1960s line printer,
or maybe something on my tablet, or legible on my screen. I realize that
tastes vary, as a general principle, it would be nice if we tried not to
assume that everyone in the world is just like onesself.

R's,
John