[rfc-i] Comments on draft-iab-rfcformatreq

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Tue Dec 18 11:03:34 PST 2012

>> Also it's not just about displaying correctly, there's issues of confusability
>
>Just to be clear for everybody, an example is that something that looks
>like "c" may or may not be the third letter of the Roman alphabet.

True, but since RFCs are documents for people to read, so what?  (Am I
the only person old enough to remember typewriters that didn't have a
digit 1 because you used the letter l instead?)

If the document is about script confusability, I would expect the text
itself to point out the issue.  Or if it's code that you're supposed
to cut and paste, the cutting will presumably pick up the correct
thing.

Something that we* need to face sooner rather than later is to decide
whether there are enough people who still use equipment that can only
display 95 character ASCII that we need to limit our documents to that
character set, or perhaps make some other accomodation such as downgraded
display versions that call out non-ASCII characters.

R's,
John

* - i.e., Heather