[rfc-i] Comments on draft-iab-rfcformatreq

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 23:54:19 PST 2012

On 18/12/2012 01:36, Dave Thaler wrote:
> Also it's not just about displaying correctly, there's issues of confusability

Just to be clear for everybody, an example is that something that looks
like "c" may or may not be the third letter of the Roman alphabet.

> if the display character is normative (as opposed to U-xxxx being normative,
> which is not confusable).    So the wording you (Heather) mention is still
> pretty problematic compared to something precise like
>
> "Codepoints greater than U+007F can only appear in non-normative text"

Even that bothers me a bit, because what will be the effect (say) of
some bi-di characters (e.g. Arabic) placed elsewhere in the document?

I suspect this cannot be boiled down to a few words, and needs to be
described at greater length as draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs attempted to do.

    Brian