[rfc-i] RFC editing tools

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Tue Dec 11 09:09:17 PST 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Stefan Santesson <stefan at aaa-sec.com> wrote:
> On 12/11/12 4:56 PM, "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>>Well, HTML is trivially converted to XHTML, which is XML and has a
>>schema, so I'm not sure what the problem is. There are also
>>off-the-shelf HTML editors (not that I ever would use one :-).
>
> I guess this is my point.
>
> XHTML is already associated with a schema.
>
> The question is if that schema is suitable as source format to capture
> everything that a source format need to capture.

No, XHTML's schema does not capture the metadata we need, not without
resorting to conventions.  Conventions can save the day for XHTML as
applied to RFCs, but it's not a great solution.

Now, XHTML with lots of CSS and JavaScript (I think this is Joe H.'s
proposal) can work well enough.

I prefer xml2rfc though.  I've said that I'd rather that xml2rfc had
used more familiar tags for content, but it doesn't matter now.

Nico