[rfc-i] Section structure, was: RFC editing tools

SM sm at resistor.net
Sat Dec 8 00:34:01 PST 2012

At 23:49 07-12-2012, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>Which is intensely annoying. Stylistically (excuse shouting but...)
>THERE IS NOTHING WRONG with having introductory content prior to the
>first subsection. The tools have no business telling me I can't
>do that. At the moment, one has to insert a completely pointless
>subsection header.

We rely on tools to tell us what to do.  We rely on tools to tell us
how to think.  But then, we want convenience and there is a price to
pay for that.  As we structure the RFC format (which is not bad in
itself) we define constraints.  Having these constraints driven by
the tools does not seem like a good idea even if it is a fact of life.

Regards,
-sm