[rfc-i] RFC editing tools

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Fri Dec 7 17:04:35 PST 2012

I do not doubt that it is possible to define a contstrained subset of
HTML that could do what xml2rfc does, but I really don't see the point.

If you want to view your xml in a web browser while you edit,
rfc2629.xslt does an entirely adequate job of displaying it.  It
doesn't get every single crossref right, but it's plenty close to
check that your headings and spelling are right.

The disadvantages, beyond the obvious one that we'd have to discard
the xml tools and start over, include the fact that there is a lot of
awful HTML and awful HTML tools , people will not understand that we
demand a strict subset, and I can assure you that people will use
cruddy HTML editors that smash the structure, then be baffled when the
nit-bot rejects it ("but it looks fine!")