[rfc-i] RFC editing tools

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Fri Dec 7 10:32:33 PST 2012

On Dec 7, 2012, at 1:25 PM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:
> That's not true: the metadata will be processed by the RFC Editor to be made available in the RFC itself. It's just like xml2rfc, except that the input is something that you could view most of in a browser to start with.

Right, then what you are talking about is a presentation form, not a representation form.   The representation is what the RFC editor processes into the presentation.   If the presentation form is canonical, then transformations done on it are expensive, because you have to reverse the translation from representation to presentation (since the representation isn't canonical, and the presentation is).

> Again: please show an example of "them" so we can understand what you are objecting to.

Sections 4.5 and 4.6 of the draft are good examples of what I'm talking about.   I think it's no accident that these sections are currently incomplete.