[rfc-i] In the vein of LaTeX, but better and live: LyX

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Thu Dec 6 11:54:47 PST 2012

On Dec 6, 2012 12:21 PM, "Ted Lemon" <mellon at fugue.com <javascript:_e({},
'cvml', 'mellon at fugue.com');>> wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2012, at 12:13 AM, Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'nico at cryptonector.com');>>
wrote:
> > I've had no such problems on Ubuntu.  LyX != LaTeX, and the packaging
works well.  All you need is the LyX pkgs, docbook-sgml, and lyx2rfc.  The
lyx2rfc bits need a bit more work in order to be fully integrated i to LyX,
and since it's just a shell script I need to rewrite it in Python or some
such in order to support lyx2rfc on Windows, but it does work.

> You misunderstand me.   The fact that someone else did all the work to
get it working does not excuse the amount of work it takes to get it
working.   Microsoft does a great job of getting Word built and getting
binaries to you, but that doesn't help if you want to change it.   Open
source isn't particularly useful if the code is write-only.

LyX is complex software that works out of the box.  Making it typeset I-Ds
and RFCs directly would probably take some effort, but I don't know how
much (it didn't take much to make it do so indirectly, through xml2rfc...).
 Is there any reason to expect that users would have to assemble the
software themselves??  I don't think so, and you've not given any -- you
merely knee-jerk.

> Lyx in itself isn't a bad thing as a tool for producing your own
documents, but the underlying tool it depends on is TeX, and much of a fan
as I was of TeX in my youth, it is a nightmare to get it running.   Of
course the Debian and Fedora guys have it nailed, but try building it from
source yourself and you'll see the problem.   And this makes it not
future-proof, and hence not a good tool to use for RFCs.

When used with lyx2rfc there's really no TeX in the picture.  Try it
instead of jumping to conclusions.  Typesetting I-Ds/RFCs directly would
involve LaTeX, yes, or most likely anyways, but when I typeset things with
LyX it all just works anyways.

Nico