[rfc-i] Editing XML with Oxygen (was: Re: RFC editing tools)

Stefan Santesson stefan at aaa-sec.com
Thu Dec 6 02:18:37 PST 2012

Hi Martin,

In-line;

On 12/6/12 2:42 AM, "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:

>Hello Stefan,
>
>Great to find somebody who is using the same tool!
>
>On 2012/12/05 23:11, Stefan Santesson wrote:
>
>> I disagree on the stylesheets. Stylesheets makes it very easy to access
>> the content in multiple rendering formats based on one source format.
>
>One also has to say that in the context of XML, and in particular XSLT,
>stylesteet may take a much wider meaning than usual. (XSLT is
>turing-complete :-) But of course, stylesheets are tools, and there are
>other tools, too.

Absolutely. In all honesty. 98% of my use of oxygen relates to generation
and analysis of XML Schemas.
I'm the person that likes to use XML, generate and parse XML
programatically, but hate to write XML by hand.

>> And for authoring, I have to admit that I have not tested every XML
>> authoring tool on the market. I use Oxygen and totally hooked on it.
>> Oxygen has an Authoring mode that allows me to edit XML content, almost
>>as
>> if I was writing in the rendered result document, IF there is a
>>stylesheet
>> that goes with the schema.
>
>Do you have a stylesheet for Oxygen for Internet Drafts? Mine is at
>http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/browser/draft-ietf-iri-3987bis/rfc2
>629.css.
>Comments, questions, improvements welcome.

Thank's for the tip. No I don't use xml2rfc to write RFC:s. I use
NroffEdit for that.
For the reasons above.

But I use XML to write OASIS documents, and their stylesheet works really
nicely in Oxygen.
Thanks for The link. I just tested it and it seems to work nicely!

If I do come up with an improvement or suggestion, I promise to let you
know!

>> Editing in authoring mode is in my mind hugely more effective than
>>editing
>> raw XML.
>
>I have been a bit wary of authoring mode in Oxygen because a) It may
>change line breaking in the source (which is okay for the piece of text
>I'm working on but not for the rest of the document, because that would
>mess up diffs), and b) because xml2rfc uses attribute values for section
>headings and similar stuff, and attribute values are not directly
>editable in authoring mode.

Yeah, I noticed that. Thought there was a way to turn that off, but I'm
not sure. I flip quite frequently between Autor and Text. But Author give
a soo much greater overview when figuring out where to go next.
It's also great for creating all XML tags on the fly. But again. I use it
for OASIS documents and not RFCs.

/Stefan