[rfc-i] In the vein of LaTeX, but better and live: LyX

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Wed Dec 5 21:13:05 PST 2012

On Wednesday, December 5, 2012, Ted Lemon wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2012, at 7:28 PM, Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > I'm starting to go through the archive, though not thoroughly -who has
> > the time for that?-, and I noticed some discussion of LaTeX within the
> > last year.
>
> LaTeX isn't quite open source and is an absolute bitch to get working.
> Yes, you can just install the .deb, but it's ancient and crufty and awful,
> and really not a good basis for new work.

I've had no such problems on Ubuntu.  LyX != LaTeX, and the packaging works
well.  All you need is the LyX pkgs, docbook-sgml, and lyx2rfc.  The
lyx2rfc bits need a bit more work in order to be fully integrated i to LyX,
and since it's just a shell script I need to rewrite it in Python or some
such in order to support lyx2rfc on Windows, but it does work.

Nico