[rfc-i] Editing XML with Oxygen (was: Re: RFC editing tools)

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Wed Dec 5 17:42:30 PST 2012

Hello Stefan,

Great to find somebody who is using the same tool!

On 2012/12/05 23:11, Stefan Santesson wrote:

> I disagree on the stylesheets. Stylesheets makes it very easy to access
> the content in multiple rendering formats based on one source format.

One also has to say that in the context of XML, and in particular XSLT,
stylesteet may take a much wider meaning than usual. (XSLT is
turing-complete :-) But of course, stylesheets are tools, and there are
other tools, too.

> And for authoring, I have to admit that I have not tested every XML
> authoring tool on the market. I use Oxygen and totally hooked on it.
> Oxygen has an Authoring mode that allows me to edit XML content, almost as
> if I was writing in the rendered result document, IF there is a stylesheet
> that goes with the schema.

Do you have a stylesheet for Oxygen for Internet Drafts? Mine is at
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/browser/draft-ietf-iri-3987bis/rfc2629.css.
Comments, questions, improvements welcome.

> Editing in authoring mode is in my mind hugely more effective than editing
> raw XML.

I have been a bit wary of authoring mode in Oxygen because a) It may
change line breaking in the source (which is okay for the piece of text
I'm working on but not for the rest of the document, because that would
mess up diffs), and b) because xml2rfc uses attribute values for section
headings and similar stuff, and attribute values are not directly
editable in authoring mode.

Regards,    Martin.