[rfc-i] RFC editing tools

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Wed Dec 5 17:29:54 PST 2012

On 2012/12/06 6:30, Stefan Santesson wrote:

> On 12/5/12 6:43 PM, "Nico Williams"<nico at cryptonector.com>  wrote:
>
>> Stefan, can you describe the formatting functionality that you think
>> is missing from xml2rfc?
>>
>> Are any of the formatting problems caused by the pagination
>> requirements for text rendering?

I'm only guessing, but I would very much think so. To some extent, it
may be possible to invest more effort into the automatic conversion, so
that the need for "manual intervention" (i.e. designated page
breaks,...) is further reduced. But that's an endeavor with increasing
input and decreasing output.

>> To what extent can we change the rendering requirements to make
>> missing formatting functionality in xml2rfc simply not necessary?

One way is to abandon the current ASCII-only format. A less radical way
is to make it less central and thus be able to tolerate a bit more
suboptimal formatting. Another less radical way is to move to an
ASCII-only format without the page breaks.

Re. the question of whether all RFCs go through nroff at the RFC Editor:
I seem to remember that this was confirmed fairly recently. The other
reason besides "final tweaks" is probably inertia: It's not such a bad
idea to keep something that's been working for a long while.

Regards,   Martin.