[rfc-i] RFC editing tools

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Wed Dec 5 16:27:05 PST 2012

>Being new to the conversation, I hadn't heard this before.   You're saying that if I submit an
>xml2rfc draft, the RFC editor converts it to nroff?

Yes, for the final layout.  I gather it's for minor twiddles like page
breaks to avoid widows and orphans.  Although nroff is Turing
complete, the RFC Ed has never used nroff in a complicated way.

This has been discussed at some length; I gather they are entirely
open to doing everything in xml2rfc if it can do a few minor format
tweaks so they can give it better hints about where to do the page
breaks.