[rfc-i] Following up from Atlanta

Steve Slevinski slevin at signpuddle.net
Wed Dec 5 11:18:10 PST 2012

On 12/5/12 11:47 AM, Nico Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Ted Lemon <mellon at fugue.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 5, 2012, at 3:00 AM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What is really important is that graphics and some aspects of
>>> formatting (such as list layouts) survive the processes of storage,
>>> transmission, presentation and printing. Historically, a fixed-width
>>> ASCII-only format has been the way we guaranteed that. The real question
>>> is whether this has changed.
>> xml2rfc does this just fine.
>>
>> Personally, though, I'd rather that drawings were done with SVG or something, and then rendered as ascii art for tty-lovers, because I find that in general it's quite difficult to express anything interesting using hand-drawn ascii art.
> +1.  Though I should point out that JavE is a really cool GUI ASCII art editor.
+2.  I edit XML directly in a plain text editor.  I am a fan of the
ASCII version of the RFC.  ASCII art created from SVG sounds plausible.
Can a tool chain be built into xml2rfc processing?  SVG could easily
satisfy XML users with either a WYSIWYG or a plain text editor.

For other image formats, having the text [Image Deleted] in the ASCII
would be disappointing.

Regarding Unicode and internationalization, tough nut to crack.  If any
information is missing from the ASCII version, then the RFC in question
is tied to the encoding being used, probably UTF-8, although UTF-32 is
an option.  Long after UTF-8 has fallen from favor, the ASCII RFCs will
be easy to process on any system that supports ASCII.

For the current international generation, being tied to UTF-8 is
preferable to ASCII.

While UTF-8 is the basis of modern internationalization, it is not as
simple or stable as ASCII.  ASCII's common use will far surpass UTF-8.

Functionality wise, it's great to be able to use the XML to create the
ASCII version, 2 styles of PDF, 2 styles of HTML, and use a stylesheet
to preview live changes.  I look forward to creating epub books in the
near future.

Regards,
-Steve