[rfc-i] RFC editing tools

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Wed Dec 5 05:25:30 PST 2012

On Dec 5, 2012, at 4:57 AM, Stefan Santesson <stefan at aaa-sec.com> wrote:
> If this was my call, here is what I think I would have as the final goal:
> 	• Extend the current xml2rfc shema to capture all information necessary to become the one and only source format, from which you can render all publishing formats (text, html, pdf)
> 	• Develop XML Stylesheets that can support advanced user's XML editing as well as handle rendering to text, html and pdf).
> 	• Develop a web tool, and publish the code as Open-Source, that offers basic editing of RFCs in a simple and user friendly fashion, producing source formatted data.
> 	• Retire all use of Nroff
> 	• Reverse engineer all published RFCs into the new source format.
> 	• Encourage the market and volunteers to create good collaborative tools for editing RFC:s using the new source format, based on the Open-Source library.

This looks very much like my own internal laundry list for RFC formatting.   The only thing I'd change about this is that I'm very skeptical of the efficacy of xml style sheets, and would abstract that out to "tools".   If the tools happen to be style sheets, great, but I don't care if they are.   I'd be just as happy to have a tool that translated the canonical form to troff for typesetting, if that produced prettier output.