[rfc-i] RFC editing tools

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Tue Dec 4 16:34:44 PST 2012

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 6:15 PM, John Levine <johnl at taugh.com> wrote:
>>Are there more that I'm missing?  What tools does the RFC Editor use?
>
> Joe Touch has reminded us at length that a few people use MS Word
> with some template that produces the current text draft format.

Well, I used to edit my I-Ds in $EDITOR, keeping them in, essentially,
the unpaginated form output by xml2rfc.  I had only two tools to help
with this: a tool to generate a ToC and paginate, and vim's autoindent
smarts, which made editing lists (and ASCII art) real easy.  This was
surprisingly livable, for small I-Ds anyways...

Another usual suspect would send comments as a PDF: first he'd format
the I-D as PDF, then he'd annotate it with his comments.

Nico