[rfc-i] RFC editing tools

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Tue Dec 4 15:35:15 PST 2012

What are all the I-D/RFC editing/authoring tools that we have?  Here
are the ones I know of:

 - $EDITOR + nroff

 - $EDITOR + xml2rfc

 - Stefan Santesson's NroffEdit

 - pandoc2rfc (https://github.com/miekg/pandoc2rfc/)

 - kramdown-rfc2629 (https://github.com/cabo/kramdown-rfc2629)

 - lyx2rfc (https://github.com/nicowilliams/lyx2rfc)

Are there more that I'm missing?  What tools does the RFC Editor use?

Will the IETF tools team be responsible for implementing tools for
dealing with any changes to the RFC source/rendered formats?  If not,
will the RFC Editor be responsible?

My advice: keep xml2rfc's schema, improve it, and improve the xml2rfc
tooling.  This will ensure that more of the above tools continue to
work.

Finally: I apologize for not reading the long list archives before posting.

Nico