[rfc-i] Following up from Atlanta

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Tue Dec 4 13:46:21 PST 2012

>I believe this is a matter of style and personal opinion.  As a
>programmer I can't understand why anyone would find variable-width
>fonts easier to read.

As a native speaker of English, I can't understand why anyone would
want their documents to look like they came off a 1970s line printer
when they can look like they came off a printing press.  (And I've
read a lot of documents from 1970s line printers.)

It's quite clear that opinions differ here, but nobody I know uses a
typewriter font as their web browser default, even though it takes
only about five clicks to configure it that way.

It's fine to provide a line printer style rendering as one option for
RFCs and drafts, but a lot of people object to making it the only, or
the primary one.

R's,
John