[rfc-i] Following up from Atlanta

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Tue Dec 4 13:08:31 PST 2012

On 12/4/12 11:55 AM, "Nico Williams" <nico at cryptonector.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de>
>wrote:
>> On 2012-12-04 19:37, Nico Williams wrote:
>>> I only want to be able to render RFCs as text (subject to loss of
>>> audiovisual media).  I'm not demanding that text be the canonical
>>> format, or the only format.
>>
>> lynx *does* render HTML as plain text.
>
>I'll play with elinks, see if I can get it to display RFC HTML nicely.

Note, it may be that we could get the publishing process to run lynx (et
al.) or some equivalent to render a good-enough plain text version, with
the understanding that it would be missing key features.  In that case,
"good enough" is important; we might decide that images are replaced by
[IMAGE DELETED], non-ASCII7 codepoints like Ⅷ are replaced with [U+2167:
ROMAN NUMERAL EIGHT], and we can make a separate decision about whether
the existing lineprinter header/footer arrangement is important to keep.

--
Joe Hildebrand