[rfc-i] Following up from Atlanta

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Tue Dec 4 10:55:08 PST 2012

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2012-12-04 19:37, Nico Williams wrote:
>> I only want to be able to render RFCs as text (subject to loss of
>> audiovisual media).  I'm not demanding that text be the canonical
>> format, or the only format.
>
> lynx *does* render HTML as plain text.

I'll play with elinks, see if I can get it to display RFC HTML nicely.

>>> Because it's not only my preference.
>>

>> But it's also not true that 99% of the world agrees with you and not me on
>> this.
>

> I did not claim 99%. I do claim vast majority.

I believe this is a matter of style and personal opinion.  As a
programmer I can't understand why anyone would find variable-width
fonts easier to read.

>> Although I should add that one reason I prefer text is because I like
>> reverse video, and web browsers don't make reverse video easy (there
>> have been plugins for browsers that implement reverse video, but
>> invariably it screws up something on some/most web pages).
>
> We can add a requirement that the HTML version that is published can easily
> be switched to reverse video (either by alternate CSS, by script, or by
> browser plugin).

That would be good, yes.  I'd appreciate this.

> Not here. Over there:
> <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg76092.html>

But I note that I need the same functionality that Sam does (find
sections quickly), and that Sam navigates in ttys as well as I do
(better, most likely), and that in $PAGER finding, say, section 5.3.1
is as simple as typing /^5.3.1 with the text format.

Nico