[rfc-i] Pre-qualifying errata [was Re: Errata proposal]

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Tue Aug 21 11:34:28 PDT 2012

Peter Koch wrote:

> I'd agree here, but that is a different issue from Marc's statement
> that 'spurious errata create more work' for the implementer (as opposed
> to the reviewer).
>
> Rejected errata can be ignored by the implementer.

I strongly disagree with the last statement.

The rejection of an errata does not necessarily apply to the reported
problem, but instead might be limited to the proposed fix.

The quality of the existing erratas, and their categorization seems
to be quite unsuited for automatic application of corrections.

Personally, I think the existing errata process has a number of
problems, which includes the impossibility to adjust the proposed
fix of a submitted errata, and a partially random selection of
the status "accepted", "wait for document update", and "rejected".

-Martin