[rfc-i] Pre-qualifying errata [was Re: Errata proposal]

Marc Petit-Huguenin petithug at acm.org
Tue Aug 21 10:20:08 PDT 2012

On 08/21/2012 09:37 AM, SM wrote:
> At 07:38 21-08-2012, Marc Petit-Huguenin wrote:
>> I think that the text should include a default mailing-list in case
>> authors emails are no longer valid and there is no obvious mailing-list
>> to send a message to.  Something like this:
>>
>> "We strongly suggest to discuss with the authors of the RFC or in the
>> mailing-list that originated this RFC before submitting a new errata.  In
>> last resort, the discussion about a new erratum can be started on
>> ietf at ietf.org."
>
> The RFC Series comprises several streams.  The IETF Stream is the major
> one. There isn't always a mailing list for discussion about a RFC.  If I
> look at RFC 2119, for example, I cannot tell whether an erratum against it
> should be discussed on the ietf at ietf.org mailing list.  There is also the
> problem of the author's email address no longer being valid.

But the errata email is already sent to these emails addresses, so I this is
not a new problem.

> If I am not mistaken the errata system was created so that an author does
> not have to repeat the same answers year in year out.  There are larger
> questions. I'll skip them for now.  The message that generated this thread
> mentioned that a user confused the Errata system with stackoverflow.

That was a joke.

> If an erratum is rejected it is less probable to see the same report
> again.

Again, the problem I have is to track the errata for each RFC I implement - I
have to read them, understand them and decide if they apply to my
implementation or not.  So spurious errata create more work for me.

Perhaps people implementing internet protocols by reading the specifications
are a dying specie, and the majority is implementing by looking at network
traces, examples or open source code.  If this is true, then I'll withdraw my
proposal.

- --
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Email: marc at petit-huguenin.org