[rfc-i] Pre-qualifying errata [was Re: Errata proposal]

Marc Petit-Huguenin petithug at acm.org
Tue Aug 21 09:57:04 PDT 2012

On 08/21/2012 07:51 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2012-08-21 16:38, Marc Petit-Huguenin wrote:
>>
>> [Changing subject to refocus discussion]
>>
>> On 08/20/2012 01:44 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:

>>> +1
>>>

>> I think that the text should include a default mailing-list in case
>> authors emails are no longer valid and there is no obvious mailing-list
>> to send a message to.  Something like this:
>>
>> "We strongly suggest to discuss with the authors of the RFC or in the
>> mailing-list that originated this RFC before submitting a new errata.  In
>> last resort, the discussion about a new erratum can be started on
>> ietf at ietf.org." ...
>
> +1, but then for an outside it'll be hard to find out what the right
> mailing list is; optionally, we would preserve that information in the
> documents we publish.

Yes, that's certainly one of the metadata that should be preserved in the
future RFC format, but I am looking for a more immediate solution to the problem.

The errata is already sent to the right list of emails addresses, so the RFC
editor database already contains this information, so it would be doable to
add a web page just after clicking on "Report New Errata" that contains the
text above, together with the email addresses of the authors and WG.

- --
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Email: marc at petit-huguenin.org
Blog: http://blog.marc.petit-huguenin.org