[rfc-i] Format for STDs, BCPs, FIYs

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 10:44:05 PDT 2012

STDs are also tracking documents. Which means that as the document set
that they refer to changes, references within the docs are going to be
made invalid unless there is a disambiguation rule.

For example Digest Auth was originally a separate doc from HTTP/1.0
then the content was merged into the whole. The reverse is even more
common with documents being split when protocols are revised.

This problem regularly crops up in the print world. I have all the
manuals for my car printed in a single volume even though they were
originally four separate publications. In that case the individual
docs retain their original numbering. It works fine.

I don't see a problem with STD42.txt being a cover page followed by a
concatenation of the other files as I have zero intention of reading
it...

STD42.html would in my view be most useful if it was a cover page
giving the history of the specification so that it is not simply links
to the current documents (though those should be listed first). I
would like to see a revision history tracking the dates the STD was
updated so that someone can read the doc and determine what the
standard was at a particular moment in time. That would be easy to
produce from the database and more useful.

Website: http://hallambaker.com/