[rfc-i] Format for STDs, BCPs, FIYs

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Mon Aug 20 09:47:44 PDT 2012

On Aug 20, 2012, at 9:38 AM, SM <sm at resistor.net> wrote:

> At 08:56 20-08-2012, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>> I know what RFC 822 Section 1 is, what is STD 42 Section 1? Is there
>
> I don't recall that question coming up.

I brought it up on this list last week. If the RFC Editor provides a single document called std42.txt and it has two sections that are labelled Section 1, there is confusion. Thus, my proposal for the document called std42.txt to not contain the RFCs, just pointers to them.

>> even a canonical ordering of the individual drafts within an STD? Is
>> this even possible when a STD revision might legitimately split one
>> document into two or merge two into one.
>
> STD 42 is at http://www.rfc-editor.org/std/std42.txt  There isn't any link to it.

Ummm, you just gave one to it.

> I assume that it is an official publication but it is not that official as a RFC is.  A STD is a set of documents.  It does not split one document into two.  It doesn't merge two documents into one unless we go by the concatenation rule.

Exactly the point.

--Paul Hoffman