[rfc-i] Format for STDs, BCPs, FIYs

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 06:29:01 PDT 2012

On 18/08/2012 11:50, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2012-08-17 18:54, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
>> Would you want a single file for all the RFC in a multi-RFC BCP or would
>> you want a tar ball of discrete files?  This doesn't touch the citation
>> concerns, but it is another way we could consider bundling RFC docs.
>
> I would propose a single file that describes the BCP/STD/FYI, with links
> to the actual RFCs it consists of.

For HTML, certainly.

For printable files (whether plain .txt or something else) I would suggest
a concatenation of the texts with a preamble that is more use than
"[Note that this file is a concatenation of more than one RFC.]"

In fact, an ad hoc header page. In the .txt world, something like
what I have attached. Please don't wordsmith; it's only an
illustration of the idea.

By the way, my head is hurting again. I've just discovered that some
RFCs use "BCP" to mean "Bridging Control Protocol", even in their titles.

   Brian