[rfc-i] Format for STDs, BCPs, FIYs

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Fri Aug 17 10:11:27 PDT 2012

On Aug 17, 2012, at 9:51 AM, "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <rse at rfc-editor.org> wrote:

> OK, I can see we need to consider citations and perhaps packaging, but
> I'm not seeing that as a Format problem as much as a Style Guide
> problem.  What am I missing?

That the format of a multi-document STD or BCP will be daunting. For text-only, what the heck does it mean to say "page 3" of a document that has three page 3s? Even for HTML, what do you do about "beginning of document" and "end of document" text? For that matter, in an HTML document, what the heck does it mean to say "Section 3.1" when there are three things labelled as Section 3.1?

The easiest format solution is to not try to jam multiple documents into one file, but instead have that file contain pointers to the component RFCs.

--Paul Hoffman