[rfc-i] PDF/A

Leonard Rosenthol lrosenth at adobe.com
Fri Aug 17 05:12:20 PDT 2012

Acrobat 7.x did NOT implement the full PDF/A standard - it was (correctly) labeled as Draft.  So don't even bother working with that.  Additionally, JHOVE isn't a complete validator either (and the documentation states that).   If you can't get yourself a proper validator for your own system, consider using one of the many online validitors.

However, last time I checked, FOP did a good job of generating PDF/A-1b documents that would pass validation of a correct validator.

There are also numerous other open source tools for PDF/A generation from Open/Libre Office and Scribus to libraries such as iText and Ghostscript.

Open Source support for PDF/A (at least Part 1) is definitely NOT a problem.

Leonard