[rfc-i] Format for STDs, BCPs, FIYs

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Thu Aug 16 08:16:14 PDT 2012

On Aug 16, 2012, at 6:26 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

> one thing we should keep in mind when defining new formats is that it would be really good to have a usable representation for STDs, BCPs, and FIYs (which can be a collection of multiple documents).
>
> Right now, tools.ietf.org serves HTML for these (example: http://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp9), but the result is somewhat broken because it's just the concatenation of multiple files (which makes th HTML not only hard to use but also invalid).

A big +1 on this. Further, we need a way to reference these multi-document items in the references section of an RFC. For example, in an HTMLized version of an RFC that references BCP9, what should the reference look like? A pointer to a single combined file? A pointer to a page that references each document? Multiple pointers, one to each part of the documents in the item?

--Paul Hoffman