[rfc-i] Format for STDs, BCPs, FIYs

Leonard Rosenthol lrosenth at adobe.com
Thu Aug 16 07:45:40 PDT 2012

On 8/16/12 10:41 AM, "julian.reschke at gmx.de" <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>What I want is a canonical URI that represents, for instance, the STD,
>and gives usable information to a Web browser user.
>
>That implies either some kind of directory/summary page, or a compound
>document.

The former seems like a reasonable thing, though I would be concerned
about the latter.  In both cases, I wonder if this is the type of thing
that could/should be produced dynamically on the server side or would need
to be pre-built?!?!

>>OR you want a set of documents that are actually collected together into
>> new document, which is what formats such as EPUB and PDF provide. That's
>> not to say that you can't link to, into or out-of EPUB or PDF, of
>>course.
>
>Can you demonstrate how to link *into* an epub using a browser? As far
>as I understand, browsers do not support epub at all right now.

The same way you can link into a PDF - the URI (or CFI in the case of
EPUB) is passed along to the plugin/app that actually manages the EPUB
format for the user.   Granted, this may not work in all cases on all
platforms.  But that's an implementation problem not a standard/spec issue.

Leonard