[rfc-i] Format for STDs, BCPs, FIYs

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu Aug 16 07:41:05 PDT 2012

On 2012-08-16 16:31, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> On 8/16/12 10:11 AM, "julian.reschke at gmx.de" <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> On 2012-08-16 16:05, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
>>> For the HTML-based content, I would recommend the use of EPUB 3 which is
>>> based on (X)HTML5 and designed to encapsulate one or more document into
>>> "publication".
>>
>> That doesn't seem to be a useful thing to link to on the Web.
>
> Then I guess I am confused by your request, JulianŠ
>
> Either you want a set of individual documents that are _only_ connected to
> each other because of the fact that they linked to each other.  That's
> what the web provides.

What I want is a canonical URI that represents, for instance, the STD,
and gives usable information to a Web browser user.

That implies either some kind of directory/summary page, or a compound
document.

> OR you want a set of documents that are actually collected together into a
> new document, which is what formats such as EPUB and PDF provide. That's
> not to say that you can't link to, into or out-of EPUB or PDF, of course.

Can you demonstrate how to link *into* an epub using a browser? As far
as I understand, browsers do not support epub at all right now.

Best regards, Julian