[rfc-i] Branding

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Mon Aug 6 16:32:09 PDT 2012

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:

> I very much hesitate to rely on color for anything official.  Color gets
> complicated when talking about accessibility, and a different kind of
> complicated when talking about how this might apply to different streams
> as well as the different tracks within the IETF.  Who gets what color,
> how to do we educate the readers as to what the colors mean, and so on.

I really appreciate and fully support this.

> It sounds like we are just moving the problem around.

To me it looks like a converting an existing simple solution into a problem
for the rfc editor, for all rfc authors plus all rfc consumers.

For those authors that desperately want to get a colorful variant of
their document published in addition to the official version, this option
has existed for quite a while already.  Considering how rarely that option
is used by authors, interest appears to not to be overwhelming.

See RFC Editor's FAQ, Question 21
  http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcfaq.html#enhanced

Examples:

The eye-candy enhanced version of rfc5059
includes a colorful 115-page Powerpoint presentation:

  http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5059.pdf

The eye-candy enhanced version of rfc5598 uses some color, a proportional
fonts (with serifs), varying font sizes, occasional italics, and one (obvious)
occurrence of a non-ASCII character.

  http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5598.pdf

Is there a time limit up to when (after publication of the official RFC)
the RFC editor will accept an "enhanced" PDF version from the author?

-Martin