[rfc-i] Reference to historic or obsoleted RFCs

Livio Zanol Puppim livio.zanol.puppim at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 10:15:22 PDT 2012

Brian,

I understand what you're saying, but as long as the RFCs are becoming one
of the most important source for "standard" information, even a
informational RFC should be carefully revised. As you said, in the RFCs
world this is not such a difficult thing to do, as you have the right tool (
http://www.arkko.com/tools/allstats/).

Even if you are creating a standard RFC that "beats the informational
ones", my understand is that the WG responsible for it's creation (or the
revision team) should take the care necessary to avoid this kind of
misunderstanding.

I'm not discussing this particularly case, errors can happen, it's a
natural human behavior. I'm arguing about the whole process of publishing
RFCs. I don't know if this kind of situation (not modifying referenced
RFCs) is normal or not, if the authors must search for referenced RFCs or
not.

I'm suggesting, that, if this kind of situation is normal, maybe IETF or
IESG should include this kind of rev. as a pre-req to publication.

What you think?

[]'s

Lívio Zanol Puppim