[rfc-i] Next steps for the Format discussion

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Wed Aug 1 09:37:32 PDT 2012

Hello everyone -

I wanted to thank the I-D authors and the people at the mic today at the
BoF for a useful (and bloodless) discussion of the possibilities and
issues at hand.  You have definitely helped me see things from
perspectives I might otherwise have missed, and your input is very much
appreciated.

At this point I think I have a fairly good handle on where the pain
points are and the different perspectives on how to solve for that pain.
 With that information, Nevil Brownlee and I are going to write a more
formal requirements document, covering the known concerns and the
end-goals for an RFC Format.  I will look for input on that document
from the materially concerned interest groups involved in the RFC Series.

While individuals may want to continue discussing some of the points in
the various format I-Ds on this list, I think we have really covered
what we need to on those specific documents at this time.  I would
encourage everyone to step back and focus any new comments on higher
level functional requirements for the Series and not specific concerns
about XML, HTML, PDF, etc.  I personally will no longer track the I-D
specific threads.

Thank you again, everyone, and I'll work on getting that requirements
draft out as soon as possible.  Work starts on it this week.

-Heather Flanagan, RSE