[rfc-i] Canonical input formats

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Aug 1 06:10:19 PDT 2012

On 7/31/2012 5:02 PM, RFC Editor wrote:
> Just a correction on this part:
>
>> AUTH48 comments are applied to the nroff input, and the thing "just
>> before text" is "nroff".
>
> The RPC uses the XML file to edit the document until the
> authors approve the document for publication during AUTH48.  It is at
> that point that the document is converted to NROFF and final updates
> made (typically page breaking).

'the XML file' refers to the cases in which the submitted document is in
xml2rfc, yes?

My understanding has been that documents submitted in nroff stay in
nroff and documents submitted in txt are converted to nroff.  Is this
correct?

What that means is that the master, final internal representation of
RFCs is currently in nroff.

However I've also been told that it would not take much programming
effort to make it possible for xml2rfc versions to remain in xml2rfc.

This could open the door for having xml2rfc become the master, final
internal representation of RFCs.  The effort to make some version of
html become that representation would, of course, be starting from scratch.

d/

--
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking