[rfc-i] Accessibility and figures

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Mon Apr 30 06:45:56 PDT 2012

Joe,

I'm not sure this would help.  A diagram often exists to express some
complex concept and text in the form of some data structure not so
useful as an alternative, IMO.

That said, explaining a diagram fully is not necessarily reasonable,
either.  Diagrams exists to aid in understanding and sometimes they
exist to fully explain.  In either case, a data structure cannot be
visualized in the same way as a picture.  Pictures are visual and, by
their nature, not really accessible to blind people.

I believe explaining most diagrams in text is reasonable, as I think
most figures should be used to assist in understanding the text.  If a
diagram exists to fully explain what could have been written in text,
then it's probably good to encourage authors to explain it in text.
However, I'll be the first to say that it's almost silly to draw a state
machine or things like Specification and Description Language (SDL; Rec.
ITU-T Z.100) diagram, especially a complex diagram, and then to re-state
in text every relationship.  So, sometimes accessibility needs cannot be
met without doing the opposite in making the text less accessible by the
rest of the world.

Paul