[rfc-i] normative illustrations vs text

Stewart Bryant stbryant at cisco.com
Fri Apr 27 06:09:45 PDT 2012

On 27/04/2012 09:49, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 27 Apr 2012, at 10:45 , Larry Masinter wrote:
>
>> disagree: assigning a precedence weakens the motivation for insuring equivalence, makes an arbitrary choice when either could be wrong, and has no benefit if the rules are firm. If the rules aren't firm, why bother talking about rules?
> There's also the question of completeness. Not everything that can be expressed in text can be expressed as an image. Not sure to what degree that's true the other way around.

In the world there are many examples the other way round, though few
that can be cited in the IETF since we don't currently have the tools to
allow that to happen.

In the network protocol space the only one that immediately springs to
mind is G.800 language, but in the wider world, circuit diagrams, maps
and plans of buildings are examples that spring to mind.

Stewart