[rfc-i] normative illustrations vs text

Larry Masinter masinter at adobe.com
Fri Apr 27 00:33:35 PDT 2012

for accessibility, every figure's content should also be described in accessible text.... that goes for ascii art too, for that matter.

If the same material is presented in text and graphics, you might insist they agree, both during last call and as a technical rfc editor function.

There is no need to assign precedence of one over the other... if they disagree it is a spec bug and worth an erratum.

images are normative but should  not be necessary to comprehend to determine conformance.
diagrams should just make things easier to understand.

again, this applies to ascii art too so it isn't strictly a format issue.