[rfc-i] Illustrations, graphics, and normative-ness

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Thu Apr 26 12:35:39 PDT 2012

On Apr 26, 2012, at 10:18 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> We currently have an illustration (to use the term loosely) that anyone with ASCII capability can decipher. If we allow for normative illustrations in one or more image formats without a mandatory ASCII version then we are moving up the system requirements for implementing an RFC significantly.

We disagree about "significantly".

> And don't forget: not only the technical system requirements, but also the human system requirements.

I have not forgotten that. I believe you are overstating the issue, and are ignoring the fact that lots of other SDOs use non-text illustrations and the implementers have absolutely no problem with them.

> I don't think that's a good idea.

Noted.

> But there are many avenues to explore for less normative better looking graphics. See some of my earlier messages.

Of course. But that is not what I asked in this thread.

--Paul Hoffman