[rfc-i] Use of unicode

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue Apr 24 13:35:56 PDT 2012

On 24 Apr 2012, at 22:30 , Ole Jacobsen wrote:

> "...can never be part of the normative protocol description because I
> don't see how it can be sufficiently precise."

> Gee, I wonder how other SDOs handle this dilemma :-)

> Hint: The Unicode Standard is a standard, right?

Hint in the other direction: Unicode wasn't made by the IETF, and I'm betting it wasn't made by network engineers, either. For all I know working on Unicode requires years of training in working with the scripts of the world. I'm sure these people can do things with glyphs that we can't even dream of.

And perhaps their standards documents provide an interesting example of how to talk about scripts in a way that people who don't master the script under discussion can follow.