[rfc-i] Use of unicode

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Tue Apr 24 13:13:08 PDT 2012

On 4/24/2012 11:58 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> I appreciate the efforts to tone down the imperialism, ...

FWIW,

were we having this discussion 200 years ago about diplomacy, it would
have been in French

were we having this discussion 100 years ago in science, it would have
been in German

Neither is the pure result of imperialism.

Although it will be useful to support other alphabets for various
reasons, the IETF didn't create the use of "English as the common
language". That's prevalent across sciences and engineering at least.

If you'd like to try to change *that*, please give it a try, and let us
know when you gain traction. For the next 50 years, I suspect things
will remain as they are - the use of a common language has many
benefits, and the current one for engineering is English.

Joe