[rfc-i] Use of unicode

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue Apr 24 11:58:36 PDT 2012

On 24 Apr 2012, at 9:50 , Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> The intent is that an English speaker will be able to to understand the
> document well enough to implement what it says in an interoperable manner.

> One way to achieve this would be to teach everyone in the world English,

Which is of course the approach the IETF uses (probably because there are no other approaches that are both workable and affordable to the IETF).

> and
> ensure that all text ever sent on the Internet accedes to one's cultural
> imperialism.

I appreciate the efforts to tone down the imperialism, but allowing characters that at least 75% of the world's population and also at least 50% of the IETF's constituency can't find on their keyboards out of imperalistic correctness AFTER requiring that everyone who wants to interact with the IETF (even just as a reader of RFCs) be able to read English, is misguided, in my opinion. As much as I believe that many Americans would benefit from some exposure to languages they don't understand.

As an aside, the Latin script is used for many, many more languages than just English.