[rfc-i] Use of unicode

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Tue Apr 24 00:50:04 PDT 2012

On 4/23/12 3:17 PM, "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch at muada.com> wrote:

> Even when all non 7-bit ASCII characters are summarily stripped from an RFC it
> must be possible to implement that RFC.

I disagree with this.  As I said before:

The intent is that an English speaker will be able to to understand the
document well enough to implement what it says in an interoperable manner.

One way to achieve this would be to teach everyone in the world English, and
ensure that all text ever sent on the Internet accedes to one's cultural
imperialism.  I assert that there is data that shows that this approach has
failed.  Another approach would be for developers that use today's Internet
to be able to use the IETF's process, tooling, and formats to describe the
very complicated things that they are doing, including code points that
aren't in the magically-imbued list of 127.

--
Joe Hildebrand