[rfc-i] Use of unicode

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Apr 23 15:00:04 PDT 2012

http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/eai/

http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/iri/

> , but I'm very
> much against allowing non-ASCII email addresses. That means that if
> you see them printed on paper you may not be able to type them,

Welcome to the wonderful world of internationalization.

> thus
> rendering the point of including an email address in an RFC moot.

I think that people would include both an ASCII (traditional) email
address and a Unicode (EAI) email address.

> It's our job to create protocol specifications, it's not our job to
> exercise those specifications to their fullest in our own output.

No one ever said it was. Please see the requirements that Larry posted.

> Even when all non 7-bit ASCII characters are summarily stripped from
> an RFC it must be possible to implement that RFC.

That's why I said we'd want to make sure that documents would include
both the properly-encoded Unicode code points along with the actual code
point numbers or names.

--ᏚᎢᎵᏋᎢᏋᏒ

[U+13DA] [U+13A2] [U+13B5] [U+13CB] [U+13A2] [U+13CB] [U+13D2]