[rfc-i] Use of unicode

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon Apr 23 14:17:12 PDT 2012

On 23 Apr 2012, at 19:12 , Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>> Authors' names (ID/RFC author, author of cited document)
>> EAI Authors' email addresses

> Do you mean that only authors of EAI specifications are allowed to
> include non-ASCII characters in their email addresses?

Not sure what an EAI is (or an IRI, for that matter), but I'm very much against allowing non-ASCII email addresses. That means that if you see them printed on paper you may not be able to type them, thus rendering the point of including an email address in an RFC moot.

It's our job to create protocol specifications, it's not our job to exercise those specifications to their fullest in our own output.

Even when all non 7-bit ASCII characters are summarily stripped from an RFC it must be possible to implement that RFC.