[rfc-i] Use of unicode

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Mon Apr 23 09:33:15 PDT 2012

On 4/23/12 4:14 AM, "Larry Masinter" <masinter at adobe.com> wrote:

> Locations:
>

> Authors' names (ID/RFC author, author of cited document)
> EAI Authors' email addresses
> Titles of cited documents
> IRIs for cited documents
> Examples for protocols about I18N and non-ASCII characters
> Other examples
> Unicode art
> Normative text
>

> I think these have different priority and different impact.  The problems are
> quite similar to the problems of URIs vs. IRIs: there is a tradeoff between
> global transcription (everyone can copy text from one device to another,
> visually, even if haltingly) and local optimization (people get the names and
> characters they are familiar with).
>
> Some guidelines:
>
> Avoid spurious uses, like upside-down letters written for fun, dingbats,
> emoji, etc.
> Only use non-ASCII when absolutely necessary; preferably provide ASCII
> alternative also.
> If characters are used for which fonts are not universally available, release
> at least one format with embedded fonts (PDF/A, ePub).

s/universally/widely/

Since I can't control what fonts the Venutians have available.  That seems
like something we can deal with using sound engineering judgment, rather
than getting into the explicit codepoint segregation business.

Other than that, +1.  The intent is that an English speaker will be able to
to understand the document well enough to implement what it says in an
interoperable manner.

--
Joe Hildebrand